Our Trip to Belize

We left Portland on January 17 with a few inches of snow covering the city. We left our house around 4:00am to be sure we could make it to the airport in time. After 3 plane rides, a cab ride and a boat trip to the island we made it to our resort on Ambergris Caye. Here are pictures of the resort we stayed at; White Sands Cove Resort. We stayed on the lower floor of this circular building, although we could have stayed in any of the rooms in this building since we were the only ones in it.

Before...                                                                                                                                          After...


We tried twice to get to Guatemala so we could go visit the Mayan ruins of Tikal, but after two attempts to fly out of Belize we gave up. Both times the airport in Guatemala was closed due to weather. The first time it was due to thunderstorms and the second time it was closed due to fog. The airports in Belize are nothing like the airports in the U.S. Below you can see the airport runway (with a golf cart) and the main employee entrance (we were not sure what job the dogs had). There are dogs all over the island that just seem to wander around, but unlike in Mexico these dogs seem to be well cared for and friendly. On one bike trip a dog ran along side us for about a mile before he decided to stop and play with some kids who were in the water.


The town of San Pedro is the largest town on the island, but it only has two city blocks that have paved streets. There are very few cars and trucks on the island most people get around by walking, biking, or using golf carts. There are many golf carts as you can see from the pictures below. We were about 2 miles north of town and one day we rented a golf cart to get into town (we also walked and rode bikes into town on other days). Getting into town was like a ride on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. There had been some recent rain and since none of the roads are paved the roads were kind of a mess. All the way into town there was either large mud puddles that extended the whole width of the road or a bunch of little ones that we tended to want to go around since you couldn’t tell how deep they were…and some of them were pretty deep. I don’t think the whole two miles there was anyplace that we went in a straight line for longer than about 30 feet. Luckily there’s not much traffic so it’s okay to drive wherever you want on the road. In fact, the main way islanders get into town is by riding bikes. But most of them don’t take the road; they ride on the beach the whole way. One of the laws in Belize is that you can’t block off the beach. So anyone can walk or ride or take a golf cart from one end of the island to the other on the beach. We rode bikes along the beach and all in all we probably traveled a length of about 15 miles all of it on the beach.


We also did a lot of snorkeling. We took snorkel trips to locations such as Hol Chan Marine Preserve, Mexico Rocks, and Shark and Ray Alley. We did actually see many sharks and rays. We saw nurse sharks, eagle rays, and sting rays. We were able to get very close to them too. We also saw many angel fish, butterfly fish, trigger fish, a puffer fish, a couple of moray eels, and some very large barricudas.


And we saw a very nice sunset…the end.